FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Farrah Kim, +1.202.568.8986, FarrahKim@Rational360.com
TIA Submits Recommendations to UK OfCom for Promoting Investment and Innovation in IoT
Arlington, Va. (October 1, 2014) – The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA), the leading association representing the manufacturers and suppliers of high-tech communications networks, today submitted comments to the United Kingdom's Office of Communications (Ofcom) in response to its request for stakeholder views on promoting investment and innovation in the Internet of Things (IoT).
In its filing, TIA described how the IoT holds incredible potential for positive innovations across segments of the economy and improvements in countless aspects of consumers' everyday lives, and presented policy recommendations in the following areas:
• Take a competitive- and technology-neutral approach as the Information and Communications Technology (ICT)\ industry continues to work towards realizing the IoT's continuum of connectivity;
• Recognize the importance of, and work to further, the use of global voluntary, open, and consensus-based standards in the IoT;
• Employ a spectrum policy that prioritizes predictability, flexibility, efficiency, and priority for superior rights from harmful interference, as well as including consideration of technological developments related to spectrum sharing;
• Respect competitive differentiation as a driver of enhanced security solutions when addressing data security and resilience while also relying upon international standards and best practices, leveraging the successful public-private partnership model, and prioritizing end-user awareness and education;
• Ensure that its activities do not impose barriers that would discourage the use of existing and developing voluntary solutions that typically emerge from standardization and best practice development fora, as well as public-private partnerships when addressing data privacy.
Read TIA's comments to the UK's Office of Communications in its entirety at this link.
The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) represents manufacturers and suppliers of global communications networks through standards development, policy and advocacy, business opportunities, market intelligence, and events and networking. TIA enhances the business environment for broadband, mobile wireless, information technology, networks, cable, satellite and unified communications. Members' products and services empower communications in every industry and market, including healthcare, education, security, public safety, transportation, government, the military, the environment, and entertainment. Visit tiaonline.org for more details.
TIA is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and is a proud sponsor of ANSI’s Standards Boost Business campaign. Visit www.standardsboostbusiness.org for details.