FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Farrah Kim, +1.202.568.8986, FarrahKim@Rational360.com
In Comments to FCC, TIA Supports Efforts to Open Spectrum in the 3.5 GHz Band for Commercial Use
Arlington, VA (July 14, 2014) – The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA), the leading association representing the manufacturers and suppliers of high-tech communications networks, filed comments today supporting the opening of spectrum in the 3.5 GHz band to commercial use that would allow for increased access to mobile broadband while maintaining appropriate protections for incumbent users.
In its comments TIA stated, “Making more spectrum available is essential for industry to keep pace with exploding demand and with the rapid pace of innovation in the ICT marketplace. It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs for Americans while improving U.S. technological competitiveness. It will also enable the mobile industry to meet the demand for high-speed wireless applications, and will help drive the U.S. economy, both near-term and long-term."
In its comments, TIA urged the Commission to:
- Ensure that priority access licensees receive protections commensurate to their status;
- Reduce the size of the proposed exclusion zones needed to protect incumbent users;
- Ensure that special licensing provisions for critical services such as hospitals, public safety organizations, and local governments contain appropriate flexibility;
- Address technical issues such as synchronization;
- Avoid imposing mandatory receiver standards; and
- Ensure that networks operate properly using devices which will be designed for global use.
To read TIA’s comments in its entirety, visit: http://tiaonline.org/sites/default/files/pages/TIA%203-5%20GHz%20FNPRM%20Comments.pdf.
The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) represents manufacturers and suppliers of global communications networks through standards development, policy and advocacy, business opportunities, market intelligence, and events and networking. TIA enhances the business environment for broadband, mobile wireless, information technology, networks, cable, satellite and unified communications. Members' products and services empower communications in every industry and market, including healthcare, education, security, public safety, transportation, government, the military, the environment, and entertainment. Visit tiaonline.org for more details.
TIA is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and is a proud sponsor of ANSI’s Standards Boost Business campaign. Visit www.standardsboostbusiness.org for details.