The 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010
The Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010
On October 8, 2010, President Obama signed the The Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010 (CVAA) (Pub. L. No. 111-260) into law, which was enacted to ensure that the approximately 54 million Americans with disabilities have access to the incredible and innovative communications technologies of the 21st century. This law is widely considered to represent the most significant accessibility legislation since the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990. TIA supports the passage of the CVAA and is committed to help ensure that all Americans have access to advanced communications services (ACS) products.
As a representative of hundreds of companies that manufacture information and communication technology (ICT), TIA has been closely engaged in the development and passage of the CVAA, and is heavily engaged in Federal agency rulemakings pursuant to it. We understand the wide-ranging effects that this important law will have on investment and product cycles, and we work to provide our member companies with the resources and access to fully understand it so that compliance can be ensured. We provide members with resources to help with compliance, such as holding a TIA webinar on CVAA compliance, a CVAA implementation and compliance timeline, summaries of important FCC rulemakings, and more.
For members only, TIA has completed a breakdown of the implementation dates of the CVAA, which we update periodically. Members can access this resource here.
TIA CVAA-Related Filings
- TIA Comments on Tentative Findings in the FCC's 1st CVAA Biennial Report to Congress (9/6/12)
- TIA Comments to Inform the FCC's 1st CVAA Biennial Report to Congress (7/25/12)
- TIA Comments in Support of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association's Petition for Class Waiver from ACS Rules (7/23/12)
- TIA Reply Comments in Support of the Electronic Software Association's Petition for Class Waiver from the FCC's ACS Rules (6/25/12)
- TIA Reply Comments in Support of the Consumer Electronics Association's Petition for Class Waiver from the FCC's ACS Rules (6/25/12)
- TIA Comments to the FCC on its Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking towards Implementing the CVAA (2/13/12)
- TIA Comments to the FCC on the Closed Captioning of Internet Protocol-Delivered Video Programming Rules Pursuant to the CVAA (10/18/11)
- TIA Comments to the FCC on Implementation of Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Act (4/25/11)
- TIA Comments With FCC on Advanced Communications Provisions of Accessibility Act of 2010 (11/22/10)