TIA-4953 License Agreement
The amplified telephone industry has for several years encountered confusion and complaints regarding amplified telephone products’ advertised claims for 'gain' and other acoustic performance parameters. In response to these issues, the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA)'s TR-41 developed TIA-4953 (Amplified Telephone Measurement Procedures and Performance Requirements), which was published in August 2012. The Standard includes requirements for the acoustic performance of a telephone to meet the needs of people with hearing loss.
TIA is the owner of the TIA-4953 Compliant Logo Amplified for Mild, Moderate and Severe Hearing Loss for use in connection with corded and cordless wireline telephony equipment and other equipment that meet the requirements in the TIA-4953 Standard for high-gain amplified telephones.
Consumers through proper use of the TIA-4953 Compliant Logo will have a uniform means to identify TIA-4953 compliant products that are suitable to their individual needs.
The TIA-4953 Compliant Logo may already apply to an amplified telephone available on the market.
TIA is offering a limited, transferable, revocable, world-wide license to use the logo in connection with equipment that conforms to the Standard.
HEARING LOSS ASSOCIATION ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA (HLAA)
June 27-30, 2013 Convention - In support of TIA's robust standards and policy programs supporting telecommunications accessibility issues, TIA had a booth at HLAA annual conference. The conference was a success, with lots of traffic at the TIA booth to discuss the recent developments in cordless phone technology improving services for the hearing impaired.
- Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA); 'Making an Informed Decision When Purchasing a Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC) Wireless Handset'
- Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA); 'Developing Standards for Accessibility'
- Demo Presentation by Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA); 'Standards Enabling Hearing Accessibility: Developments and Trends'
- Demo Presentation by Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program Association (TEDPA) - 'Finding Equipment in Your State' by Shannon Smith. Shannon demonstrates the benefit of TIA-4953 and why does TIA-4953 matter?
NEED THE STANDARDS?
- TIA-4953 - Telecommunications Telephone Terminal- Amplified Telephone Measurement Procedures and Performance Requirements.
- TIA-1083-A - Telecommunications - Telephone Terminal Equipment - Handset Magnetic Measurement Procedures and Performance Requirements .
- TSB-177-A - Telecommunications - Telephone Terminal Equipment - Guidelines for Marking and Labeling CPE Complying with TIA User Premises Equipment Standards.
What are the benefits, advantages and value of the TIA-4953 Amplified Telephone Measurement Procedures and Performance Requirements Standard?
TIA and the Technology Access Program (TAP) of Gallaudet University recently announced a Friendship Agreement to facilitate communication regarding standards development for performance and accessibility for communications products.